Thursday, May 13, 2010

Photo Shoot 7, April 2010

In April, my cousin Lindsay asked me to do a shoot of her for a Food Network competition she was entering. It was the first time I had picked up my camera in about 6 months which is still really shocking to me... my biggest excuse is my full-time job, which requires loads of energy. After some reflection, and especially witnessing Lindsay's determination to do what she loves, I can't wait to gain my good energy back to be able to do what I love.

I think the picture to the left is the picture she submitted with her application early this month. I dolled it up a bit by boosting the color and increasing the contrast. Here's what I learned from the shoot.

*Teaching school has helped me become a more efficient time manager. Before we began, I told her that I only wanted to spend about an hour on the entire shoot. With a time limit set and keeping in mind the client's tendency to grow weary after the first hour, I felt I was more efficient--I got great results in only a short period of time.

*When we were leaving the house, I advised Lindsay to bring about 4-6 different top possibilities, including a few with collars. This worked out great. I learned how the smallest changes in hairstyle, top, and background can radically change the mood of a photo.

Here are just a few of my favorites. Of course, everyone has theirs, but since this is my blog, I'm allowed to be partial! I had some fun with the iPhoto editing machine, adding color here, blurring edges there, and even cropping to see how zooming in would change the overall look. I hope you enjoy these. (Click on photo once to enlarge.)

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a new posting! I love that you talk about the process of your work and your lessons learned. You could review your blog before each photo session to remind yourself! When I was so busy in grad school, I forced myself to sit down for 30 minutes every day to either art or write a letter. That way I didn't allow my "job" to totally take over my life. Sometimes that was all I could do, 30 minutes and not a second more, but I always went back to my work feeling less resentful about it all.

    Our fair cousin is so lovely to look at! Nice job modeling, Linds!!! Good choices on the fave pics, Ash.

    ReplyDelete